fot

State of the FOT & Mid-Ohio

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: State of the FOT & Mid-Ohio
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:33:38 EST
Happy Holidays FOT...I'll try to make this brief.

It has been a little more than three years since this writer, John Lye, and
Mark Bradakis discussed launching a separate list that focussed on the
competition side of Triumphs. It was meant to be a communications tool to
small group of folks who might meet together at various venues around North
America.

It was not meant to be a formal organization with meetings, dues, or
officers. With a few exceptions, it has been a gentleman's list with no
conflicts and major differences of opinion. Who knew it would grow to a list
of very interesting folks, now approaching 200 or so subscribers? Very
satisfying experience. Great exchanges of information among great friends.

Mid-Ohio  (14-16 June 2002 The Sprint Vintage Grand Prix) will be our major
event of the year, and the planning is progressing very well. We are proud to
have Kas Kastner as our Grand Marshall.  Invitations will be going out to
other significant Triumph people. Some have been contacted one way or
another. Paul Richardson has it on his calendar. Bob Tullius has been
contacted and I think we can expect Bob and his son Russel.

Off-Shore entries, mostly from the U.K., can be expected. Vern Brannon has
offices in Europe and is in contact with the TR Register. FOT Keith Files
from the U.K and the TR Register has been a conduit of planning and
information. Keith reports that current planning includes shipping as many as
14 Triumph race cars in intermodal containers to New Jersey and then
transport them to Mid-Ohio for offloading. Their cars and drivers are being
reviewed for entry qualifications by SVRA and special dispensations will be
granted where it is reasonable.

With extra day of practice (through Mid-Ohio) regular practice days,
qualifying, the one hour enduro, group race, and All Triumph Race, there
should be plenty of track time. Please remember that this is a big event and
it not just a "Triumph" event. There may be as many as 400 competitors
sharing the track this weekend. But make no mistake, there is likely to be as
many as 60 or 70 Triumphs  looking for entry acceptance. Enter as early as
you can. The word has been out for months that this event is taking place and
the gate will be flowing with Triumph enthusiasts...lots of them, if 1991 is
a good indicator. The Triumph Register of America is scheduling their annual
convention close by and during the middle of the week prior to Mid-Ohio.

Publicity will be strong as several magazines will be doing pre-race
coverage. This includes Grass Roots Motorsports , Vintage Triumph Register,
Victory Lane and Triumph World. FOT Greg Petrolati is working on a FOT
article for Victory Lane at the moment. FOT Brett Johnson frequently provides
information in his Triumph World column. There is no question about Triumph
activities being included in FOT Tim Suddard's GRM. FOT Mike Cook is also
working on some coverage in the VTR mag. I would eventually expect something
from the pen of Bert Levy in Vintage Motorsports or British Car.

Eventually, we hope to make contact with Casey Annis of Vintage Race Car and
surely we will get coverage from Road & Track during that weekend.

Paddock Space will be allocated, generally, to the Triumphs. We hope to rope
off a generous area that is not subject to flooding, perhaps close to the
restrooms and showers, as we have done in the past.  I hope to acquire a tent
for hospitality purposes, announcements, meetings, and perhaps coffee and
rolls in the morning. Depending on the size of the tent, we might consider
displaying a significant car or two. The tent could be paid for through
sponsorships or donations. I have requested one at the track's cost, but have
not received a response on this yet.

Panoramic Photo has been discussed with the photographer and Greg Petrolati
will be helping with the coordination and timing of the photo.

Website Information  can be found at:

http://www.fot-racing.com   This is our site....remember it may not always be
up to date as this work is performed by volunteer efforts.

http://www.svra.com     Sportscar Vintage Racing Association....review for
continuous updates and use it as a resource.

http://www.midohio.com   Click on "41 Years of Racing"

http://www.mansfieldtourism.org  This will give you area details including
800 numbers for hotels

That's enough for the moment.