fot

Re: Political Assault on Daily Polluters/Breaks for Power

To: wgrosenbach@juno.com
Subject: Re: Political Assault on Daily Polluters/Breaks for Power
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:19:59 EST
Friends

       For a significant part of my career I have served as an expert to
lobbyists on environmental matters. I am not an expert on air pollution, my
specialty is the managment of hazardous wastes. However, I believe i can
offer some advice and perspective that will help this group.

       It is important that everyone realize that the USEPA serves at the
direction of the White House and politicians. It is not some independent
group of government employees who dream up new programs. I worked in a
regulatory agency for four years, I speak from experience.

       Shortly after George Bush took office in 2001, a major scientific
report was issue on global warming. It ended the debate as to whether global
warming was occurring. Mr. Bush, who was previously skeptical that global
warming was occurring, was forced to change his position by this study. The
debate is now focusing on how to most economically reduce global warming
emissions.

       Reducing global emissions is not going to be easy. Politicians are
going to have to make some very hard decisions. It is indeed important that
you enter into debate as to what we as a country do to reduce these emission.
But the reality of the situation is that older cars built before modern
emission standards and used as a daily driver are going to be an easier
target than electrical power utilities. See NY Times today about Bush
administration plans to let electric power utilities escape tighter
regulation.

       A similar situation occurred in California in the last decade. The LA
area air pollution board choose not to tighten air pollution standards on the
23 local refineries, instead choosing to eliminate the use of solvent based
parts cleaners at auto repair shops. So now parts cleaners here are using
water based and other chemically base parts cleaners. You can still see and
smell the emissions from the local refineries. A choice had to be made, it
was easier to eliminate the solvent based parts cleaners.

       Prior to 1973, there were no emission requirements on automobiles. In
many states, like California, these car are exempt from smog standards. It
makes sense to remove these cars from use as daily commuters. That is not the
same in my perspective as removing them from use as a weekend classic car. I
most certainly would be myself opposed to the latter. Is it fair for the
power utilities to get an emission break while individual car owners are
forced to make changes? I do not believe so. But because the vast majority of
Americans are not politically active, that is what is happening.

       So please, do become involved in the our national debate about curbing
air emissions. But realize that something has to be done and make sure that
other interests -- like the power utilities -- do the right thing. Otherwise
I can virtually guarantee that the classic car owner will pay a bigger price
than is fair.

       I am going to apologize in advance for not personally responding to
further emails about this. I simply to do not have the time due to other
commitments. I hope that this helps all of you by providing some background.

Amen...Cary