fot

TR3 front Springs

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 front Springs
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 23:32:18 -0500
Friends, I took my front suspension apart for the first time since I
bought the car in 1994, and it's the first time since about 1978 that
it looks to have been taken apart (that's when it had last been on the
track before I bought it)..  The springs are marked with TSCo62.  The
are a left wound spring, 9 inches long, and use a shortened aluminum
spacer.  The Competition manual that I have note a factory competition
spring that is left wound, but does not use the spacers.  From my
calculations from compressing the springs, I came up with about 620
lbs/inch for a spring rate (maybe the 62 in the marked number stands
for 620lbs/in.?).  Is anyone familiar with these springs?  Is there
anything readily available that is a little stiffer?  When running
high banked ovals such as Pocono or New Hampshire, many suspension
tuners suggest going with stiffer springs on the outside.   Basically
the car should be set up like a circle track car.  I did try using a
smaller size diameter tire on the inside, but could not get used to
the car steering itself.  Joe(B)