fot

tolerable DRIVE SHAFT run out?

To: Kaskas@earthlink.net
Subject: tolerable DRIVE SHAFT run out?
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 18:15:20 EST
Hi Kas:

Hope you are well!

We are still working on 'high end break up', and John Reimer, a very
successful local ROAD/ROUNDY ROUND/DRAG racer friend (from the old days)
something to the effect of, "If you don't have similar symptoms in other
gears (at top RPMs)", he would be looking at something spinning that is out
of round, and at top speed perhaps we have past the tolerable limits.  He
said he would look first at the drive shaft.  the Thunder Bolt has a one off
drive shaft.  Using less than laboratory equipment in our own shop, we
suspect we have 20,000ths out of round at one end.  Is that too much when we
get to 13,000 rpms  (read 6,500 actual)?  Any idea what tolerable limits
might be?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Bill Dentinger