fot

RE: bottoming tap

To: "'Rob Dardano'" <19to1tr6@mediaone.net>
Subject: RE: bottoming tap
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 19:43:37 -0800
Taps that are used on a freshly drilled hole have a taper to get them
started. If you're tapping a blind hole, the taper hits the bottom well
before the threads get cut all the way to the bottom. In a really good tap
set designed for blind holes, there's a starting tap, that has the usual
amount of starting taper, a second tap with a shorter taper to get you
close to the bottom, and a bottoming tap with no taper that gets the
threads all the way to the bottom of the hole.

You only need bottoming taps when you want the threads to go all the way
to the bottom of a blind hole (like the head stud holes in a block), which
not only makes the stud less likely to pull out because more threads are
engaged, but is always a good idea, because a blind hole with tapered
threads will put a lot of sideways pressure on the bottom of the hole and
will tend to jam the stud. Of course you don't need them at all when the
hole you're tapping goes all the way through.

In the case of the ARP studs, the threads on the ones that Greg gets are
longer. The hole is already tapped, so no taper is necessary. The
procedure is to drill a little deeper into the block with exactly the
right size drill--which doesn't touch the existing threads--and then
thread the bottoming tap in and extend the threads to the bottom of the
hole.