fot

Re: Fitting race rubber

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fitting race rubber
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:52:46 -0700
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> I do still wonder about tire choice at the VTR meet in Breckenridge.  That
> was the first time I ran Killer with the 8" wheels and non-cantilever slicks.
> What this combo does is move the tire outwards about an inch per side compared
> to the cantilver slicks on the 6" wheels.  So at Breckinridge Killer was about
> two inches wider than I was used to, and I do often wonder just how close I
> came to some of those cones.  A clean run and it could have been three in a
> row.  Oh well, Pugs in his Mark 1 on skinny little tires ended up with a
>better
> time than I did, fair and square.  Drat.

I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I was running 7" wide by 20" high slicks on 6" wide wheels at Breckinridge and
did manage one clean run (thanks Mark).  I have since gone to 8" wheels
in the front with the same tire size but am running 9" wide x 20" tall slicks
on 10" rears.  I am going to try 22" tall tires in the rear because I am
running out of gears in second at the end of long straights so the extra height
should help.  The rear fenders are cut out and flared so clearance is
not a problem.  I also added another full length thicker leaf to the rear
spring to stiffen it.

I am also going to try mounting a pair of 9" slicks on the 8" front wheels to
see what it does there.  I have already tested the clearance with the
10" wheels and it appears to turn without rubbing.

Earlier, I ran 21.5" tall 10" wide cantilevered slicks all around and as Mark
mentioned, Had trouble with the tires rubbing the firewall.  Those were
mounted on the aforementioned 6" wheels.  A BFH took care of the rubbing
problem.

By the way, the current wheels I am running all have 4.5" back space and I have
not had any clearance problems with that setup.  The tires all stick
out from the fenders but not more than 1/2 the width of the tire per SCCA
autocross requirements.

Joe (C)