fot

RE: flywheel bolts

To: "'Barr, Scott'" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Subject: RE: flywheel bolts
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:14:08 -0800
Hard versus strong is easy to explain, but I'm not sure what physical
parameters denote it, certainly not grade 5, grade 8. A strong bolt can
stretch but won't break, a hard bolt won't stretch but when it reaches
yield it cracks rather than stretching. The ARP bolts seem to be both.
>From my limited metallurgy reading (mostly associated with knife making) I
think the "psi" number is strength, that is, they stick a sample in a
measuring tool that tries to pull it in two. Hardness is a different
number, which as I recall is measured by pressing a graduated diamond
point into the metal and seeing how deep it penetrates with a specific
force applied. Sometimes you see knives with little dimples where they did
that. There are a bunch of other tests, like Charpy V-notch that tests the
resistance to shear forces. And Brinell that measures another aspect of
hardness. But it all distills down to "buy some really good bolts", and
that basically means "pay ARP what they ask".

I probably should read a couple of the metals books in my library. It's
interesting stuff.