fot

RE: Engine run-in

To: "'John Kipping'" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>,
Subject: RE: Engine run-in
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 19:22:29 -0800
I agree with the mineral oil but not the running in method. Lugging the
engine for very long will cause localized ring heating. You'll be better
off "Power Seating" the ring by getting in a high gear, standing on the
throttle until revs build, and snapping the throttle shut. Do this a
half-dozen times and your rings will be on the way to seating.

The real, real best way is to make a jig to hold the ring and lap them in
by hand to the bore they're going to run in. Used to do this to racing
motorcycle engines. When you're not married you can do it in front of the
TV in the living room. Not nearly as much fun in the freezing shop.