fot

engine run-in, etc

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: engine run-in, etc
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 07:30:03 -0600
In a previous post I related that what works best for me is to start
engines up on conventional oil and later switch over to synthetic.

I received a response off-list from someone who apperently felt that a
portion, at least, of my message was less than tactful. If I have
ofended anyone in this exchange, please accept my apologies. I meant no
offense or criticism of anyone.

The same person pointed out, and rightly so,  that major automakers like
Honda, Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette to name a few deliver their cars with
synthetic, so apparently they start the engines that way.

Does anyone know how they accomplish that? I'm surmising that their wall
finish and ring preparation are superior to what we accomplish with our
rebuilding techniques, but I really don't know.

What I do know is that Honda, for one, starts the engines in their cars
at the end of the automobile assembly line -- no pre-start, no test
stand or dyno runs. After working for years with a major manufacturer
that started every engine and ran it in on a dyno, my hat is off to
Honda and anybody else who can pull this off. It's a truly stupendous
accomplishment, in terms of both quality control and cost savings.

--

uncle jack