fot

RE: AB 1058 bill in California

To: Bill Sohl <billsohl@mindspring.com>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: AB 1058 bill in California
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 20:33:58 -0700
Bill :

It is true that the CA assembly is considering such a bill.  However, it
states :

   (2)  "Maximum feasible and cost-effective reductions of
greenhouse gas emissions" means the greenhouse gas emission
reductions that the state board determines meet both of the following
criteria:
   (A) Capable of being successfully accomplished within a reasonable
period of time, taking into account environmental, economic, social,
and technological factors.
   (B) Economical to an owner or operator of a vehicle, taking into
account the full life-cycle costs of a vehicle.
<<<

This frankly sounds a lot less draconian to me than (for example) the
federal CAFE standards.  IMO the SUV owners are howling mostly because they
aren't currently subject to CAFE (AFAIK), and this bill would introduce the
possibility of similar limits in CA, that would apply to the huge, gas
guzzling SUVs that routinely try to run me and my LBC off the road.

Oh BTW, this bill will only apply to 2009 model year or later cars and
trucks.

Randall