fot

Re: Hoosier Daddy (& Pacific Raceways)

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hoosier Daddy (& Pacific Raceways)
From: TR3a@att.net
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:37:52 +0000
There is not a whole lot I can add to Bill's write up
about the weekend at Pacific Raceways.  Bill and Peyote
were pretty awesome on the track.  I was there for the
first race on Sunday, the one where Bill  elected to go
for his best times.  Wow, there was a whole lot of time
between him and the 2nd place car, to the point where I
was wondering what happened to the rest of the pack.

The TR250K had a great race on Sunday morning.  During
the first three laps Tony came up the straight just
sitting on the rear bumper of that BMW 2002, you could
tell he was itching to get by, but it sure seemed like
he was taking his time figuring out where to pass.  I
was a little surprised to see that one-of-a-kind TR250K
being driven as hard as it was, but Tony apparently knew
what he was doing and was driving the car as it was
designed to be driven.  According to what I heard from
the announcer, he made a few attempts at getting by, but
was closed out.  Finally, he had the opportunity to pass
comming out of a turn right in front of the grandstand
and the BMW was not able to catch up for the duration of
the race, although he was close enough that if the TR
faltered or got hung up in traffic, he would have gotten
by.  In this race, as well as Bill's, there were a lot
of good dogfights further back in the pack too.

While I've seen pictures of the TR250K, looking at it up
close and personal, it's hard to believe it was built in
1967(?).  The lines are fabulous, almost exotic.  It
really did look a bit out of place on the track with the
other period cars, to me at least.  Peyote looked out of
place on the track too, but for the completely opposite
reason.<Huge Grin>.

We were unable to make it to the track on Saturday, with
the kid's baseball, etc., but my wonderful wife, Susan,
was willing to give up part of her Mother's Day to head
out to the track.  We had a great time with Bill and
his "pit crew" and appreciate the hospitality shown to
us.  Everyone from my family had a great time, something
which doesn't usually happen we when go to the tracks.

Jack Brooks