fot

Re: TR4 After Market Accessories

To: BillDentin@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net, 'fot@autox.team.net'
Subject: Re: TR4 After Market Accessories
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:47:54 +0000
>From: BillDentin@aol.com
>To: fot@autox.team.net ('fot@autox.team.net')
>Subject: TR4 After Market Accessories
>Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:20:59 EDT
>
>Amici:
>
>Anyone know if there is a decent 'ready-made, bolt in' roll bar available
>for
>a 'street' TR4.  I am obviously looking for one that allows the top to be
>put
>up.
>
>Also looking for an 'extra-fine, high quality' luggage rack.

Bill,

  After looking at a number of the "aftermarket" roll bars I wasn't
  impressed with what was out there. I wouldn't trust my personal body
  in any of them (most just bolt to the box behind the seats).

  When I seriously autocrossed my `4 I had one custom made. It bolted
  to the floor directly in front of the wheel arch. This location is
  directly over the locating pin for the front leaf spring (not bolted
  to the frame, but the fellow who made it felt in a rollover it would
  most likely be supported by the frame.) The rear support was to the
  curved portion of the wheel arch, which I think is pretty strong.

  The bar is diagonally braced from the top left curve to the bottom
  right. It is further braced behind the drivers seat with a short
  horizontal bar from the left vertical bar to the diagonal bar. The
  roll bar does allow the top to be erected.

  In retrospect if the bar was angled a bit forward and raised another
  inch or so it would still allow the top to be raised (not important
  when the car had it's original seats more so when I replaced them
  with the early TR6 seats I currently have in the car).

  Currently, the bar is not in the car as having it in makes it more
  difficult for my wife who has rheumatoid arthritis to get in the car.
  It limits the backward seat travel. I will be reinstalling it prior
  to going to Mid Ohio, so if you want to look at it there, you can.

  I got real lucky as having the bar made with SCCA-specified steel,
  and painted body color by a professional racing engineer only cost me
  $175.00

  I can't help you with the luggage rack... sorry.

  Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)