fot

Mid-Ohio Security

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Mid-Ohio Security
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:56:35 -0400
Everybody else is airing their thoughts, I guess it is my turn. There seem
to be two debates here, one is Mid-Ohio's rules and the other is the
rat-bast@rd thieves.

Playing by Mid-Ohio's rules... I have run this event for the past three
years. I heard lots of complaints about the track, parking policies, etc.,
but I really have to say I have no idea what the hell everybody is
complaining about. Sure, they got rules. Are they unreasonable? I think
many of them are, but it is their facility. If you play by their rules, you
are fine. You don't, and you are going to get asked to correct the
situation. If I come to your house and do something you do not like, you
are going to do the same thing.

I paddock out in the grass with the rest of the Great Unwashed. We get left
alone for the most part. No parking police, nobody with a stopwatch making
sure we move our rigs out of designated no parking areas after 15 minutes.
Yup, Security folks were to be seen every time you turn your head, but who
cares??? Heck, I waived or nodded at the Sheriff every time I saw him.

I entered the track on Wednesday at 1:30 to set up. I was not charged the
camper fee. My camper sat facing the road all weekend with no permit, no
one ever said a word. My "pit bunny" rented a car, we had no parking permit
for it, we parked it next to our rig, drove it off track and back several
times, nobody came by and said a thing.

I use a gas scooter to get around the paddock. Obviously not a road legal
item. As long as I stay in the paddock and the lower area, ie, not drive
out on the entrance road, I can go anywhere I need to. I can go to the gas
pumps, to the start-finish tower, to the concession stand, to the
restrooms, to visit everybody in the paddock. I rode past many security
folks, they did not say a word. Half the time I realized I was not wearing
my credential, heck, they still waived my by.

So, I just play by their rules and have nothing to gripe about.

Security and crime... One of the reasons for the heightened security was an
attempt to "protect" the racers who were the victims of crime. Sounds like
a benefit to us. Are the tracks going to catch the crooks using
rent-a-cops, no way. I agree with uncle jack that a little sleuthing could
go a long way. Surely the criminals are not signing their real names to the
release when they enter the track. Like, how about checking picture ID's
with the signatures on the release? Recording license plates with the
signatures?  Also, shooting video of cars leaving the gates, recording
license plates and time of departure. Heck, I think with a small budget any
intelligent person can catch these guys.

And Jack, who the heck is Bo Dietl??? Is my age showing again???  ;-)