fot

Tyre Pressure/Temperature

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tyre Pressure/Temperature
From: Wes Dayton <oilyrag@hsrca.org.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:39:42 +1000
I hope my high school physics teacher isn't part of this group. Come to
think of it, he'd likely be about 150 years old by now, so it's not likely!

My question - is there a simple formula for calculating tyre pressure
differentials based on the air temperature? For the moment, let's forget the
complications involved in tyres heating up during a race (that will be part
two of this line of questions).

For now I'm just interested in the basic question "If my tyres are just
sitting there, and the ambient temperature drops ten degrees (assuming that
it changes slow enough so the temperature inside the tyre drops the same
amount), how much will the tyre pressure drop"?

If the formula requires me to figure out the volume inside the tyres, then
it's probably getting all too hard. Or is it easy?

Maybe I should ask this another way? Has anyone else out there spent
Saturday getting their pre-race tyre pressures just right. Then you arrive
at the track on Sunday morning (after a nice crisp night) and found they are
four pounds lower and you say to yourself "do I have a leak, or are things
as they left them or what"?

Get my drift? And if I'm missing something very obvious, just be gentle when
you let me know.

And finally - yes we do spell them "tyres" and when I first arrived in
Australia I couldn't find "tires" in the Yellow Pages until someone kindly
pointed me in the right direction.

Wes