fot

Re: Tyre Pressure/Temperature - Tire Volumes Change

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Tyre Pressure/Temperature - Tire Volumes Change
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:50:09 -0500
Yeah, as a newbie, I've been measuring tire temperature and pressure, too.  I
don't
have a clue about what I'm doing, but I do it because I see everyone else doing
it.  The measurements do seem to be pretty consistent with the examples that I
gave, so I don't think expansion of the tire changes the volume much.  Water
will
not effect the pressure/temperature relationship as long as it doesn't condense.
Of course, different gases have different heat transfer properties, but since
air
is 80% nitrogen, its properties are pretty close to those of nitrogen.  Rubber
deteriorates due to chemical reactions with oxygen.  Could that be the reason
for
using pure nitrogen?