fot

Re: axel conversion

To: "Jari Tabell" <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Subject: Re: axel conversion
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:23:58 +1200
The problem with Herald or Spitfire type halfshafts is the left hand nut is
self loosening, and will probably be made worse on a normal clockwise track.
After reassembly of a hub onto a shaft the nut must be retorqued a few times
over some miles otherwise it will work loose and then the end of the shaft
shears off with fretting. We had two LH failures on the London to Cape Town
rally Vittesse, both fractures started at the small nick in the shaft to
stop the woodruff key going too far - but these shafts will never break from
this point with an old shaft where the hub is locked on solid.

John Kipping