fot

Re: "Competition Press & Auto Week"

To: N197TR4@cs.com, gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: "Competition Press & Auto Week"
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 14:03:00 +0000
>Hi Greg,
>
>In the last 24 months or so, someone did a comprehensive article on the
>publisher and his daughter. Perhaps Case Annis or Vintage Motor Sports.
>Perhaps a connection could be made through the author. Sorry I cant
>remember
>more specifically
>
>Joe Alexander
>
> > In the early 60s, there was a weekly, I believe, newspaper published in
> > Southern California called "Competition Press. "
> > It carried race results of road racing and other forms of motorsports
>and
> > later was merged or taken over by "Autoweek"
> > At the end of the 1963 Cal Club and SCCA racing seasons, they reviewed
>all
> > of the racing classes, class by class, giving a rundown of which were
>the
> > fastest cars and drivers and who was likely to be most competitive the
>next
> > year.
> >     I would like to obtain a copy of that issue. Is there anyone on the
> > lists that would have any idea of who to contact or who might have such
> > information?

    Somehow that article slipped by me... I'll look though my back
    isues to see if I can find it.

    I would recommend

    The National Automotive Museum
    10 Lake ST.
    Reno, NV 89501

    They seem to have a vast library of information about Most
    everthing automotive. They were a help when I was putting together
    my "Jurrasics in the Park" article on the Philadelphia Stock
    Chassis Races early in the last century.

    You may have to pay for any fax or xerox copies they do and I
    believe there is a fee for them to do the research. I think tthe
    NAM was part of Harrahs collection, though I could be wrong.

    You could also check with the SCCA's Archives though I'm not sure
    how much of the Cal Club archives the have.

    Oh yeah, another place to look would be you nearest university
    library. Surprisingly, the bulk of my material for the "Jurrasics"
    article came from the UofI's main library!

    Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)