fot

Re: Speed equation

To: mjb@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speed equation
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:47:21 EDT
In a message dated 08/08/2002 3:45:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
mjb@autox.team.net writes:

>                      Tire Diameter (in) x RPM x 188.5
> Speed (mph) =   -------------------------------------------
>                  final drive ratio x gearbox ratio x 63360
>
> I just have this spreadsheet I wrote up years ago where you plug in a few
> bits of info and you get the chart of speeds in the various gears.  I
> haven't
> actually sat down with a calculator and the equation for quite some time.

Mark:

We have similar to the above on a spread sheet as well, for the several
different tires sizes and drive trains we run.  I am not very secure about
matters mathematical (although I like to multiply), but I am interested.  We
normally get our tires from SASCO SPORTS, and the formula they gave us was:

MPH=(((ENGINE RPMs*TIRE DIA.)*0.002975)/(DRIVE RATIO*RING&PINION RATIO))

Seems to be a variation.  I've not tried the two equations yet to see if they
come up with a similar answer, but 188.5 divided by 63360 = .002975, so I
guess both would get similar answers.
.
At one time BFG had given me an equation that involved tire revolutions per
mile.  I seem to follow the logic on that one a little better, but I've
misplaced the equation.

Bill Dentinger