fot

Re: Spitfire axle conversion, also flywheels

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>, <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire axle conversion, also flywheels
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:14:56 +1200
This is the first time I've ever heard of anybody breaking the big internal
shafts, I would like to guess they were the early ones with the cut splines,
the later rolled splines (changed around 1968?) are possibly indestructable.
There are three different sets of 4.55 gears that will fit a Spitfire -
Standard 10 and herald 948 TC units use a strange carrier with smaller
crownwheel bolts and the small internal shafts. There is a normal Herald set
(13/60 - Hong Kong and Madeira markets) that can be run with big internal
shafts but still uses the smaller pinion tail bearing. The best set is the
early Marina Van one which goes straight into the late Spitfire/GT6 unit, I
aquired around 200 of these (I would think there are still some left at
Canley Classics) which came out of complete rear axle assemblies which
Caterham Cars had bought from Rover (they changed them for 3.63s) to fit the
Seven. When they are gone that will be it, as I doubt they will be remade.
John Kipping