fot

RE: Lifter Hardness Confusion

To: "'Larry Young'" <cartravel@pobox.com>,
Subject: RE: Lifter Hardness Confusion
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:38:24 -0700
According to everything I've read (and who believes that) the cores that
cams are made from are flame hardened well down into the barrel of the
cam, so regrinding doesn't require rehardening (which is a good thing--I
can't imagine how you could keep them straight). 35Rc is pretty soft.
There's a lot of variation (you can purposely create some very soft cast
iron) but most "hard" as-cast cast iron stock has a brinell hardness of
200-350 which is roughly 30-33Rc. I've never understood why there are so
many standards for metal hardness. Then again, I've NEVER understood why
there's a Whitworth standard (what goofy bolts those are).