fot

Race report

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Race report
From: Robertten1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:35:06 EDT
Amici-

We'll the season has ended with a mechanical failure.  As you already heard
by fellow FOTer Bob Lang.  The Jag folks are a great bunch, they put on a
class. low key event with the emphasis on fun.

As I started to say, mechanical problems arose in the form of NO 2nd gear and
3rd about to follow.  This was disappointing as I had hoped to beat out this
pesky Mitsu-Turbo chick in my Open 4 Cylinder Class.  Our first run times
were close so I was very optimistic,  maybe a second place finish.  Nope,
Bang!!! no second gear with lots of bad noises coming from the gearbox.
Trying to run the course in first gear was a very scary proposition, running
on the rev-limiter was nerve racking and my times suffered.  Better luck next
time I said and save the equipment, day was over.  Lang did offer a ride in
his mighty TR6 but, alas, my butt is too big for his seat.  This is another
winter project too, ha.

So, the dilemma is to scramble to gather up all the pieces to my spare box
and reassemble it.  Or to buy a rebuilt gearbox and R&R that.  Or ... to buy
a GT6 box, modify the input shaft and swap that in.  Now what is it I have to
do to the GT6 input shaft to make it work?  10 spline shaft?  Machine work I
can do.  Any help here will be greatly appreciated listers.

Triumphantly,

Bob Totten
'64 Spit GT  LeMans replica/autocrosser

PS   didn't the factory use a similar gearbox from the Vitesse in their
LeMans cars?  Just wondering.