fot

Re: Condensor Question

To: tstrange@new.rr.com
Subject: Re: Condensor Question
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:49:45 EDT
Tom has got it exactly right with regard to choosing the correct capacitance
for an ignition system.  The capacitor (condenser) is chosen to balance the
inductance of the coil and a different coil will require a different
capacitance.  That being said, the failures are an effect of voltage
puncturing the substandard dielectric these guys are buying nowadays.  As Tom
said, caps are simply insulators and conductors layered over each other.  If
the insulator cannot resist the high voltage spikes produced it will short
across conductive layers and the cap will fail.
Now, knowing that these are nothing more dramatic than garden variety caps,
and knowing that the electronic field is crawling with electronic experts why
can't we find a common off the shelf industrial cap to live forever under our
hoods?  Heretofore there was no reason cuz Mallory had the best stuff but if
their new owners are gonna go lowest common denominator then let's find a
replacement before we dump their corporate asses on the heap beside Enron et
al.  Jeez, that almost turned into a rant, didn't it?  Steve Smith in Las
Vegas