fot

Hallet Race Report

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hallet Race Report
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 08:53:27 -0500
The "Thunder on the Cimmaron" was a success again this year.  This event
seems to just keep growing.  This year it was more or less a joint event
between CVAR and RMVR with cars from all over the Central US.
Unfortunately, we only had three Triumphs racing.  Finally, a race on my
home turf and I was on the side lines, because I didn't manage to get my
engine finished in time.  Susan and Brad Kahler couldn't make it
either.  All three Triumphs were in group 7 racing with the Porshe 911s
and Datsun Z cars.  Bob Kramer in his TR4 and Dan Duryee in his sweet
GT6 were running well but were plagued by a certain Porshe all weekend.
The Porsche was faster on the straights and they couldn't get around it
in the curves.  Don't you just hate to see Triumphs finishing behind a
Porshe? Jim Elbe was having his own battle with a Cortina a little
further back.  I usually run my TR3A in the pre 1962 group 4 and enjoyed
watching them run.  That group is usually dominated by Fred Crowley's
Austin Healey 100/S, but not this time.  Al Hughes (owner of my car
prior to Bob Kramer) was running well in his LaDawri Daytona - a
thundering monster based on a Ford Galaxy chassis with over 400 c.i.
Fred was frustrated and pushed his Healey a bit two hard.  We lost count
of the times he was off the track.  Group 4 seems to be getting smaller
and smaller.  I'm afraid it may be dissolved if the ranks continue to
dwindle.  A few more TR3s are definitely needed. Brad Kahler, you  need
to hurry with that TR3 project.

Oh yes,  Uncle Jack, Scott Stephens was looking for you.  They liked
your write up from last year and had a bottle of Scotch for you.  I told
them I would accept it on your behalf, but for some reason they
declined.