fot

FYI: virus warning from my data administrator

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: FYI: virus warning from my data administrator
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:09:33 -0700
Message

Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 4:58 PM
Subject: jdbmgr virus hoax advisory (please read in it's entirety)

.  If someone asks you to delete a file from your workstation you should make
sure it is authentic request before deleting it.  For example...

 jdbgmgr.exe is a legitimate file in windows and should NOT BE DELETED.

This Hoax email message is written in blue.

"My address book has been infected with a virus and as a result so is yours
because your address was in my book.  The virus is called jdbgmgr.exe.  It
cannot be deleted by Norton or McAfee anti-virus programs.  It sits quietly
for 14 days before damaging the system.  It is sent automatically by messenger
and by the address book, whether or not you send e-mails."

Then they give you instructions on deleting an important file that is needed
by your computer...
To get rid of it:

  1.. Go to Start, then Find or Search
  2.. In File/Folders, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
  3.. Be sure to search in your C: drive
  4.. Click Find or Search
  5.. The virus has a teddy bear logo with the name jdbgmgr.exe
  6.. DO NOT OPEN
  7.. Right click and Delete it
  8.. Go to the recycle bin and delete it there also
  9.. IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK
IMMEDIATELY!

-Peter Choi, Data Security Administrator