fot

Virus Notes

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Virus Notes
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:18:49 -0700 (MST)
Well, if you are really worried about getting infected with a computer virus,
don't run any Microsoft operating systems on your machine.  Okay, I'll try
not to climb up on my soapbox here, just offer some comments.

If you insist on using that braindead virus magnet and weapon of mass
congestion known as Microsoft Outlook, I'll suggest that you tweak a couple
of settings.  The default behavior of that piece of garbage is to extract
every email address that comes through it and automatically add it to your
address book.  Hmmm, I should probably wait until I actually fire up a
copy of that crap and check, but I think it is the Tools -> Options window
where you can turn off automatically adding addresses to your address book.
This way not everyone who's ever posted a message to the FOT list will be
a target when you get infected.  And you can also turn off default HTML
formatting and including the entire message to which you are replying in
the reply.

I do try to keep bad things from propagating through the Team.Net services,
but there's only so much I can do on this end.  Anyway, I'll work on checking
these settings and making some appropriate recommendations.

mjb.