fot

Re: King bearings

To: <Gt6steve@aol.com>
Subject: Re: King bearings
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:01:41 +1300
Steve,
I can't remember the number! Canley will have it under 128391. As you may know
these are normally the big ends for the early six cylinder crank, the MGB
diesel engine bearings are slighly narrower than these and therefore slighly
wider than the correct Spit 1500 & TR5/6 big ends and I'm not certain if they
will need any narrowing. In addition they are made for a nominally .001 bigger
crank, but this extra tolerance wasn't a problem on the Africa Vitesse engine,
perhaps because we had the crank ferritic nitro carburised which perhaps made
it a bit bigger. However they are genuine Glacier lead copper bearings with
the nice dull finish and look just like a Vandervall, and presumablt will last
like one without the surface coming off. Heritage have had various main
bearings sizes remade by Vandervall, but the real question is are either of
these bearings significantly better than the King heavy duty ones?
John Kipping