fot

Re: State of the Onion response

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: State of the Onion response
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:09:05 -0800
btw...  I was invited last night to a special presentation Honoring James
Garner.  It was afterhours at the Peterson Museum in LA.  About 400 guests.
It was to commorate his contribution to racing and to a special film he
made.. about his racing days with Lothar M., Scooter P., David Jordan (who
used to race for Kas...)  and Ed Leslie.  This movie also had some comedic
moments with Dick Smothers taking you on a high speed tour around St. Jovite
and several interviews with all sorts of characters at 24hrs.at  Daytona
1969 followed by Sebring and so on with his two Lola T70's.  There was a
large format screen placed for the film  presentation...  Karen and I were
able to move our chairs to the front and realized that we were sitting about
five feet behind Mr. Garner ONLY when he was called to the podium for the
his comments about  the film.

What a immense evening full of folk...  Sittting at the next table (I didn't
know it until he came over to shake the hand of Casey Annis sitting along
side me...) was Parnelli J. and Bob Bondurant... .

Apparently, Casey wrote a story in his magazine (Vintage Racecar Journal and
Market Report) last August.  The article relayed Garners racing exploits .
The Chairman of the Board at the Museum read this and said  "lets honor Mr.
Garner..."   So, in front of an audience  of  the Who's Who of racing  Casey
was asked to stand up and take the credit for bringing this information
forward and making the event a reality.

Oh-  .... I should mention that this  movie "The Racing Scene" was finnished
in 1970 (with some fabulously intense and nearly the best I have ever seen
on board filming) its Production Coordinator was Beverly McAfee....She was
the first lady allowed into the pits at Indy....    Beverly is also the
sister of Peggy Kastner.........  I didn't know this until I saw Peggy
sitting at a nearby table and began chatting.

CONGRATULATIONS are in order to Casey.!!

M. Dunst
Gasket Works USA, LLC
626.358.1616 voice/page
626.358.7971 fax