fot

Re: Differentials and clearances

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "'Joe Curry'" <Spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Differentials and clearances
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:49:02 +1300
Bill,
Sounds like you're managing OK - with the pinion bearings are you fitting
new ones or reusing old ones?new ones require preloading, old ones don't.
The backlash should be .004 - .006, if in doubt (and for racing) go a bit
bigger.
Don't worry too much about the tooth contact, you should aim to be virtually
in the middle of the tooth on the convex (drive) side as this is the
strongest. To alter it you have to change the pinion height shim under the
pinion head bearing, with abuse the tooth contact tends to go upwards or to
the outside, there is a risk of teeth off if it is too high up. Increase the
thickness of the pinion height shim to bring the contact point downwards
towards the centre.
John Kipping