fot

Alt. SCCA TR Brakes

To: "Friend Of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alt. SCCA TR Brakes
From: "David Wingett" <elkhorn@core.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:07:21 -0500
Friends
        This subject couldn't have come up at a better time.   My current stud
axle is a non-taper, straight 1" axle.  It uses the same, stock,  bearing and
race on the outside as is used on the inner.

       The old Jag. brakes are at present the only alt. brakes allowed in SCCA
E Prod. for the TR6.   Sam Halkias and I have asked the Competition Board for
an adjustment to allow "open" front brakes (any).  The old Jag Brakes are
getting hard to find and are very expensive.  The seals are also of
questionable source and quality made more for the everyday driver or
enthusiast then the demands of racing.   It is not unusual to re-build
calipers every 3 races or so.  We do not go to the track without a spare set
ready to go on.  Black Hawk will melt seals each session.
        We are also asking for larger chokes, from 28mm to 34mm.  Our engines
are MAXED OUT  for HP.   Throwing another $5-$8k at ceramic tipped roller
tappets and roller profile cam doesn't make as much since as a few hundred for
new chokes.

            I would like to ask all those that have raced or currently race
with these old Jag brakes and can attest to there drawbacks in quality and
availability to drop an e-mail letter to the SCCA Comp brd.
compboard@scca.com    supporting our request.
            The point to be made is these Jag brakes are no longer suited for
completive use  and breathing any new HP into these already stressed engines
can only come from larger chokes.
            There are those past Champions that can tell you how hard it can
be to get an "adjustment" .  It cant be done by any one person.  With the
newly evolving face of SCCA Prod , this is our shot.
        David Wingett
            TR6   EP