fot

Re: Retorquing head gaskets

To: Gt6steve@aol.com
Subject: Re: Retorquing head gaskets
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:21:32 -0700
Steve,
I once bought a NOS head gasket from a friend of mine for a Spitfire
engine.  When I opened the package a little slip of paper fell out.  It
was a notice from STANPART that said to be sure that after initial
installation, the engine be brought up to operating temperature and then
retorqued to the recommended specification while hot.

I assume this is required because composite gaskets will compress
initially and need to be tightened.  I discovered when I first did it
that way that the bolts required a lot of turning before they were again
at the recommended torque.  Maybe that is why the first head gasket
blew!  :(

At any rate, it sounds like you are doing it right.

BTW, when I tried that on Mordy's copper gasket, no additional torque
was required.

Cheers,

Joe (C)