fot

Mechanical failures.

To: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>, "FOT List"
Subject: Mechanical failures.
From: "Bill Sohl" <billsohl@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 22:33:19 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <tr3a@att.net>
To: "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2003 3:24 PM
Subject: RE: TR4/6 Master Cylinder

> John,
>
> Insurance will pay either way.
>
> Many states, my current Washington state included, have no annual safety
> inspection, only an emissions inspection every other year.  In my eyes, an
> annual or every other year safety inspection should be mandatory.
>
> I've seen cars on the road in various places in the US that make me flat
out
> scared, with metal to metal brakes and flapping body panels.  Most people
are
> pretty good about keeping up on repairs, but there is a portion of the
> population that takes the term "driving the car into the ground" quite
> literally.
>
> Jack Brooks

The reality, however, even in states like NJ with more than just an
emmissions
check is that the type of examination it would take to spot rusty brake
lines
far exceeds the ability of typical "drive-thru" set-ups.

More to the point, as noted by others, is that the mechanical
failure of a vehicle leading to an accident is barely negligable in the
statistics.  Well over 90% of accidents are driver error.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl