fot

RE: Races at TWS

To: "'Bob Kramer'" <rgk@flash.net>, cartravel@pobox.com
Subject: RE: Races at TWS
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:25:06 -0800
I hate that stuff, it sometimes makes sense to talk to the driver, but it
rarely changes behavior. If they're too ignorant to run a good race on
their own, they won't usually change their ways until someone official
jumps on them. Why is it that backmarkers are the worst at this?

In SCCA races, running my Radical I'm in with all the sports racers and a
few formula cars. The really fast sports racers would rather eat a bug
than block you. They won't move out of the line and let you by, but
they'll never block. And there are a few guys that get a little wide, but
they don't dart around. But I've had guys that I'm lapping try to keep me
behind them. Especially the ones that are fast in the straight, like some
of the ASR cars with big motors and sucko handling. What in hell are they
thinking?

There is a great move that sometimes works really well with a car that
can't outbrake you. Set up as if you were planning to outbrake them and
pass on the outside vs. inside. They drift out to block, you dart to the
inside and do nothing. They block by turning in too early and run out of
room on the exit. Put a guy into the tire wall that way last year and I
didn't do a thing mean-spirited--he just screwed up trying to block me.