fot

Re: Horsepower to turn the cam?

To: cartravel@pobox.com
Subject: Re: Horsepower to turn the cam?
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:29:36 EST
Larry,
I think Randall pointed straight to the answer.  I was trying to account for
the variables like you're thinking when the truth is the simple Horsepower
formula.  I was overcomplicating the problem.
I'm gonna rig up a motor like Bob suggested and see what I get.  Sounds like
a fun weekend project and I'll report back to you.
Steve

<<
 I'd like to know this too.  I believe you will have frictional forces,
forces due
 to the springs, and dynamic forces (mass x acceleration) due to movement of
all
 the mass in the valve train.  The acceleration rate is a function of the cam
 grind/lift curve and engine speed. It increases with the square of the RPMs.
 I've done calculations to try to determine spring rates required, but that's
as
 far as I've taken it.  I'd appreciate knowing what you find out.
 Larry