fot

Re: TR3A cooling

To: BillB@bnj.com, grandwazoo@earthlink.net, richtr@erols.com
Subject: Re: TR3A cooling
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:53:36 EST
In a message dated 2/26/03 8:27:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

<< Unless you've done something special to your radiator cap that really
 doesn't happen. The water doesn't get sucked back in because the TR3
 radiator cap is just a single flow cap. When the engine cools a little the
 radiator cap seats--there's no way for the coolant to return. You can
 modify it to make that happen, as it does with modern cars, but you need a
 modified radiator neck to accept the kind of radiator cap that acts as a
 light check valve for coolant flowing back into the system.

You are right, Bill.  I had about three radiators refitted with the shorter
cap neck to use a standard 7 LB or 15 LB cap from an Advanced Auto Parts
store.  These caps have the center check valve which gets pulled down when
the radiator draws a vacuum, allowing the coolant to be drawn back into the
radiator.  Sometimes I hear the catch tank snarling, hissing, and clanking
when the engine is shut down.  By the time the engine cools, the fluid is
back in the radiator.

I agree that you are better off if you never reach temperatures this high.
These radiators are also re-cored without the crank hole.  They still must
not be extremely good.  I never had to block off any radiator surface area.