fot

Re: alternator?

To: tstrange@new.rr.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternator?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:28:58 EST
tstrange@new.rr.com writes:

<< Jack,
   Its not the lightest, but I am running the single wire GM alternator, and
 it seems to work well.  You can get it in several configurations depending
 on where you want the output lead to be in ... easily replaceable in any town
 in the country (probably world) at any parts store, and reasonably priced.
 Tom >>

<< When I looked at alternators, it seems like the smallest, lightest, low
output
 alternator were expensive.  I ended up with a commodity GM alternator.
Heavier
 and more output than needed, but cheap.>>

The Jeggs Catalog lists several alternators with identification numbers
similar to the alternator that Tim wrote about in his Grassroots Magazine
(the one used to convert a tractor from a generator to an alternator).  If
you want to stay with the wide belt, maybe Jeggs could furnish this
alternator and pulley.  If you want to go to the narrow belt, Jeggs also
lists a small light alternator.

Question: What are the advantages, tradeoffs, etc., of going to the narrow
belt, and what is the easiest, most painless way of doing this, if there is
such a thing.  I am still running with that heavy generator hanging on the
side of the engine, because I got tired of not being able to start the car at
the track without a charging system.  I assume that several of you have
already traveled down these trails.