fot

RE: Brake Tru???

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Tru???
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 19:24:53 -0800
> Yes, I just saw the commercial on TV for this on car rotor
> re-surfacer. Any
> one tried this out?
>
> www.braketru.com/

No, and I don't believe I will be, either.

First, it's only applicable to disc brakes on the drive wheels which AFAIK
lets out 99.99% of all Triumphs, certainly all of mine.

Second, it's only a single-shot tool; for $20 a shot I can have rotors
resurfaced at the shop.

And third, while it might improve brake efficiency for awhile, it's going to
shorten the life of the rotors and pads.  I have a feeling the effect won't
last very long either, certainly not the life of the rotor, maybe not even
the life of the pads.

I also have doubts about it's ability to true the rotors.  Since it's
basically just sandpaper that you glue to your brake pads temporarily, seems
to me the caliper would follow any warp in the rotors, just like it usually
does.  They also make no mention of pulling the wheel bearings up tighter,
which I understand most manufacturers recommend for caliper-mounted lathes.

If I want better disc brake efficiency, I'll go buy some EBC pads ...

Randall