fot

Re: First report on Dunlop 205-60-15 race tires, race at TWS

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First report on Dunlop 205-60-15 race tires, race at TWS
From: "rgk" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 18:20:25 -0500
Bill,
Good advice, and it's appreciated. I should have mentioned that I started at
32 psi based on Roger Kraus' recommendation as a good starting point for the
TR4. We ran the Yokes at 30 to 32 in the past with good success. I like your
suggestion about going lower and moving up I was going to continue going
down. Doubts about my own ability to read the pressure and make corrections
lead me to follow the advice I was given, but starting lower would have
helped accelerate the learning curve. I did recognize the need to lower
pressures based on the center temps so maybe I'm not totally in the dark.
BTW, I ran the Hoosiers between 22 and 24 psi., and I also split pressures
side to side to try and end the race equally.

Ah yeah, I forgot to mention that the Dunlops are advertised at the same
rolling diameter as the Hoosier 5.50-15, but they are slightly shorter. They
are wider however, and I encountered a slight rub inside the RF fender lip.
No evidence of the rubbing on the tire, but the paint was crispy where I had
touched it up from  when I had this same rub with the Yokes. I previously
raised the front end a little to fit the Hoosiers. I'm looking into dropping
the rear a half inch since I'm raked a little down in the front still and I
think that slight leveling will eliminate the rub. Does anyone have a good
source for longer U-Bolts?

Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com