fot

Re: chain tensioner

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: chain tensioner
From: "MARK J WEATHERS" <markjwea@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 05:35:54 -0700
UJ, I talked to the guys who used to race the high comp TR6 with the
tensioner. Details were a bit foggy as this was several years ago. They used
a Reynolds tensioner which apparently was fitted to MGB, Rover and many
others over the years. They did say that there are many knockoffs around,
but it is worth trying to find the real thing. They also agreed Datsun 510
unit might fit suspecting it was copied from the Reynolds unit. They
modified the front plate and drilled into the block to tap oil gallery
pressure from there so there was no external plumbing. I also believe they
welded a timing cover bulge on from another car (Spit?) to give room for the
tensioner.

I have been considering designing an aluminum hogout timing cover to replace
the stock unit, mainly to allow access to the variable cam gear without
removing the cover (and crossbar). I have modified my steel one woth a
removable cover for dyno work but the clearances are tight and it doesn't
look as professinal as I would like. It wouldn't be too hard to adapt it for
the tensioner. I am also envisioning plumbing externally to the gallery
though the pipe thread plugs. If there were sufficient interest, I could
make several copies but it wont be dirt cheap considering such a large chunk
of material.

Either way it seems like an accusump would be a good idea if the tensioner
is required to keep the valves and pistons playing well with each other.

Anybody with an interest in an aluminum timing cover with removable cam gear
plate let me know! Or let me know if someone is already selling them.

Mark Weathers
72 TR6