fot

Looking for tire advice

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking for tire advice
From: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 22:47:01 EDT
Since I corded my Hoosier autox tires at my last event of 2002 I am in the
market for some new rubber.  I dug out GRM Tim's November issue and reviewed
the tires test.  I have decided on the Kumho Ecsta V700's but size is in
question.  I will be mounting them on 7" wide rims.  According to Kumho's
info a 205/50/15 fits a 5.5-7.5 rim. A 225/45/15 fits a 7.0-8.5 rim, and a
225/50/15 fits a 6.0-8.0 rim.  When I talked to the kind folks at the
TireRack he was quick to jump to the widest tire I could fit, but I'm not
sure it's that simple.  If I just look at the tire and ignore the rim fit, I
would want the 225/45's but that is the minimum rim width for that tire  and
I am not sure that is best for optimum grip due to the side wall bulge and
possible roll.  How about it all you experts out there, have any advice for
me?  Oh BTW this is for an FP TR6.

Thanks,
Marty Sukey