fot

Re: Accusump Blues

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "Jack W. Drews"
Subject: Re: Accusump Blues
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:51:07 -0500
First off, make sure your lines into and out of the engine are connected
correctly. I had them backwards once and, yes, had no indicated oil
pressure. Oil pumping out of the engine went straight to the check valve
instead of to the oil filter, so I still had Accusump pressure but no
indicated pressure on the dash (and nothing flowing through filter or
cooler).

If that's correct, then is your Accusump charged with air pressure at the
back end (where the gauge is)? Without the air pressure on the other side of
the piston (opposite side from the oil), there is nothing to push that oil
back out and into the engine. What pressure you see on the gauge may merely
be the ambient air that happened to be in the air-side of the cylinder being
compressed, but it's not enough to push that cylinder forward significantly
when you open the oil valve to the engine.

As far as check valve, the Accusump junction should be between the check
valve and the engine. Or to say it another way, the check valve should be
between the Accusump and the out-line of the oil cooler. When the Accusump
valve is opened, you want all pressure flowing into the engine and none
flowing (backwards) into the oil cooler.

My system connects from a plate on the engine block where the oil filter
originally was. The flow is: engine > oil filter > oil cooler > check valve>
tee (with Accusump off this tee) > engine. The plates are fairly easy to
find in catalogues, right along with and often as part of a remote oil
filter setup.

--Rocky Entriken
.