fot

Accusumps and plumbing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Accusumps and plumbing
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:31:03 -0400
Interesting thread on the Accusumps. Sorry I am late adding my two cents.
This is what works for me.

I have the rearmost oil gallery boss drilled and tapped to 1/2" NPT. Yes,
there is enough meat on the block for 1/2", barely. The boss I refer to is
not angled, the fitting comes out at 90 degrees to the block. I screw in a
1/2NPT to AN12 adapter, and run big hose back to the Accusump. The
Accusump's charge dumps right into the oil gallery, where the oil is needed
most. Dumping the Accusump charge into external lines is a circuitous route
to get the oil where it is really needed. Also, the external lines are were
I think you are most likely to have a problem, (chafing lines leaking,
blown out oil coolers, lose your oil filter, etc.) so why put your Accusump
oil there?

I use a spin-on oil filter adapter off the Purolater filter head. From the
spin-on adapter I spin on a remote oil filter housing plate, so I have 1/2"
NPT in and out of the galleries. I plumbed from the remote oil filter
housing ->  remote oil filter -> oil cooler -> one-way valve -> back to the
remote oil filter housing.

I have the manual valve on the Accusump. I use the Accusump to precharge
the oiling system, then close the valve before starting the engine. If you
start the engine with the Accusump emptied and the valve open, as the
engine starts winding up the oil pressure will be shared between the engine
and refilling the Accusump. IMHO, bad idea. I will crack open the valve
after the engine oil pressure is stabilized, and slowly open the valve to
wide open. The engine only sees a few PSI drop of pressure, when it can
spare it.

On the precharge before starting routine, when the engine is cold and the
Mobil 1 is thick (relatively, of course) it takes at least 30 seconds for
my Accusump to throw it's entire load into the engine. On colder days, even
longer. When the oil is hot, it takes less time. I always thought if the
engine took the oil preload faster that meant clearances were opening up, a
sign of bad things on the horizon. I usually let the Accusump bleed down
about half way for precharge, then close the valve and light the fire.

I find the Accusump gauge lags behind the dash OP gauge by several seconds.
I have never seen my Accusump gauge read the same as the dash, always at
least 10 PSI lower. I am using the stock OP gauge pickup point, something I
have been thinking about changing. The way my Accusump gauge works, I
suspect there is a small orifice or a check valve that governs how fast the
thing will throw it's load. If that is a fact, and I knew that before I
bought all the fittings I would have used smaller hose to plumb the Accusump.

I close the Accusump valve after the last turn on the track, before
entering pit lane. The gauge will read about 45 PSI, +/-. I have no idea
what the gauge on the Accusump reads at speed, I can't see it strapped in
the car with my horse collar on. I can't see any benefit to running the
engine at high RPM in the pits just to create more Accusump pressure. I
think draining down from 45 to 20 on the Accusump gauge has to dump at
least one quart of oil into the system. Seems like more than enough to
accomplish pre-oiling the engine.

I would love to know if anybody sees any flaws in this...