fot

RE: Oil Filter Rope Trick

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Filter Rope Trick
From: "Mike Rose" <lytspeed@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:35:21 -0400
This will work for me too.  I just need to cut two holes in the fire wall,
feed one end of the rope through one hole, catch it on the other side, wind it
around the filter several times,  feed it back through...oops...rope too
short.  Find extra length of rope, tie square knot to join the two ropes, then
feed through firewall.  Walk around and sit in seat, grab rope...oops...one
end of rope fell back through firewall.  Get out, walk around to the engine
bay and retrieve end of rope, feed back through firewall, return to a seated
position in the seat, and pull on rope.  Square knot too large to pass through
hole drilled in firewall.  Feed rope back through firewall into engine
compartment and return to AutoZone for larger drill bit.  Look around, no
spare car, wife gone shopping, oil already drained from the TR.  Get beer and
wait.  Have 2nd beer. After third beer decide that this project can wait for
tomorrow.  Damn, it looked so easy.

  Sometimes low tech is the answer!  I'm sure it's been done before, but
  it was a forgotten art for me.  My oil filter just didn't want to come
  off, but then I remembered something I had tried years ago.  See what
  you think!  I figured I'd write it up to share.  (Yes, I use a spin-on
  oil filter adapter on my TR 4A.)   --Justin Wagner

  http://www.jmwagnersales.com/ofrt.html