fot

Re: Radiator Plumbing Question.

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiator Plumbing Question.
From: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 16:35:42 -0700
Larry, 1 1/4" copper pipe has an outside diameter of 1 3/8".  The pipe is
fairly hard to bend and probably could be done with a mandrel such as what a
muffler shop has.  The outside diameter of 1 1/2" copper pipe is 1 5/8",
these will be about as close as you can come with copper pipe.
If you can find an old time plumber around your area, he could probably
'swedge' the 1 3/8" pipe to the larger size.  Swedging is a practice of
enlarging the pipe, some times done with a tool.  Be cautious  with
enlarging the pipe on a tailpipe mandrel or this type of machine, as it
might crack the pipe instead of expanding it.  I have an old time plumber
who works for me that does all his shaping with hand tools.
Copper pipe also comes in 3 different wall thichnesses, type 'M' the
thinnest, type 'L', and type 'K' the thickest.  The thicker pipes are the
easier to bend without distorting, but also more expensive.
 I knew that all this plumbing knowledge would have a practical use some
time, LOL,
Charly