fot

RE: Question on Steering

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Question on Steering
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 16:19:49 -0700
If only I was planning and preparing...  I do all my thinking about a turn
ahead (except in long straights, where I fall asleep), but all the
correction is real-time. When I'm in that Zen state you sometimes gain
racing door to door, and I look at the driver in the other car I'm always
surprised at how much they are sawing away at the wheel. I'm probably
doing the same thing but I can't see it.

If I was teaching someone how to race, I'd tell them to get used to never
moving their hands. I don't think there's an advantage to shuffling
around.

I do practice stuff all the time in my street car. Makes my wife crazy
that I heel-and-toe. And I always brake very late--even in emergencies,
though that's because I have ten times more hours on bikes than in cars.
Brake without looking around on a bike and you're a hood ornament.

I think we're actually in violent agreement.

No wheelies in the parking lot, but I almost stuck my knee down in my
favorite long sweeper on the road to work. It wouldn't have worked very
well with my sissy Italian slacks.