fot

RE: bronze or steel

To: "'T.R. Scratchings'" <wob@dandrade.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: RE: bronze or steel
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:15:49 -0700
Yup. I don't exactly recall the alloy I used most often but it was
something like AM435 (but don't take that to the bank--my neurons are
notoriously toasted). I'd be happily tapering the nose on a guide when it
would suddenly grab the toolbit and rip itself to shreds. Or you'd ream
one with a perfectly straight ream and get .002" taper top to bottom in a
2 inch guide. Maddening. If you get guides that have been precisely
machined for the valves you're using you can get away with just driving
them in without honing to fit in the head. But on bike engines we found
that you can't just ream bronze guides once they are in the head. If you
have to ream to fit, you need to leave it a bit undersize and hone. That's
work for a really good shop, though I did it myself with the big sunnen
rig we had. Dinky little arbors with tiny little stones. You'd probably
screw the guide up worse by just reaming than driving in ones that are
honed to size. The big open question is the condition of the head and how
much interference fit you have. Too loose and the guide might shift and
won't dissipate heat well. Too tight and it deforms and you're back to
honing.

With a really good guide material and proper fit you can cut most of the
guide out of the port, increasing flow dramatically. I've never tried any
of this stuff on a TR3 motor--or on any cast iron head for that matter.
Probably folks like Kas, Greg Solow, Hardy Prentice, and other TR Wizards
are snickering because they know far better what these goofy motors take.
Though Jon certainly ranks with the rest of the wizards, and it sounds
like he pretty much agrees on Bronze.