fot

2003 ITC at Mosport

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: 2003 ITC at Mosport
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 08:57:37 -0400
Now that it is all over, I must say I can't remember when I had a better
race weekend. The camaraderie, the laughs, the quality time with good
friends. Oh yeah, and the 30 gallons worth of empty fuel containers. We
were promised track time, and we sure got it!

My car threw me a few curve balls, the most pesky being a crushed base on
the distributor. The dizzy didn't want to stay put. I limped the car back
to the pits 3 times with the dizzy popped out of it's clamp, including
during the our group feature race! I was able to get back to the pits, toss
on the timing light to reset and make it back out for a few laps, but oh,
what a pain!

Our Fearful Leader Joe and I had quite the dice during the Triumph/MG
feature, capping off a fabulous weekend. I couldn't get around him and
happily took 4th in class behind Tony, Jack and Joe, 6th overall.

The hot Triumph lap for the weekend belongs to Mark Wheatley, running the
ex-Charlie Kates (sp?) TR4. Mark tripped the transponder wire at a stunning
1:42+ in the qualifying race, putting him on the pole. Unfortunately,
during the Triumph/MG feature his car started losing power under load, and
he was able to hold on to 7th overall.

A big congrats to Tony Drews for winning the TR/MG feature on worn out
tires, a bigger congrats to Jack Drews for flying around the track from
starting dead last to take 2nd in class, 3rd overall. Jack lost his coveted
place on the grid because his car refused to restart on cue, and flew by me
like a missile during the race. If we had a few more laps I am sure uncle
jack would have come out on top. Jack was most deserving of the coveted
Kastner Cup, and when I last saw him he and Francis were busy discussing
remodeling their living room around the trophy!

The Spitfire Squadron did us proud as well, I think Donny Sopp went home
with highest honors of the Spitfires.

Those of you who missed this event, it was a real treat. I encourage any
racer who has not experienced Mosport to put it on their racing schedule,
and the folks running Vintage really need to try VARAC's annual Vintage
Festival, these guys really, really know how to put on a great time.