fot

RE: Flywheel woes

To: "Charly Mitchel" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>,
Subject: RE: Flywheel woes
From: "Russ Moore" <rem9@sunlink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:48:49 -0400
We've seen this quite a bit in GT-6 situations also. The fix is to add
another locating pin, lighten the flywheel, maybe even consider an aluminum
one, and use torque and loctite on the securing bolts. Lock washers are not
a solution. Either grade 8 or aircraft alloy fasteners should be used. Some
have also gone up one size on the fasteners used to secure flywheel to crank
with desirable results. The key to the problem is the large mass the
flywheel poses vs the mechanical advantage of the sheer moment on the
fasteners and pin. All of the above will improve the situation. Ed Ceilley
(GT-6) had a similar recurrent problem which was finally resolved by the
above procedures. That was years ago and he has not had a problem since.
 As you I am sure realize this fix will require some effort and removal of
the components, but the payback is there. I suggest, if you haven't already,
have the crank balanced with the front pulley, flywheel and pressure plate
installed by a dependable shop. Be sure to index the crank, flywheel and
pressure plate relative to eachother with some sort of markings for future
assembly operations.
Best of luck.

Russ Moore