fot

Re: Brake MC sizes?

To: Aaron Johnson <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Brake MC sizes?
From: Chuck Arnold <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 19:32:11 -0700
I have 3/4" on both systems.  Have a balance bar and a proportioning valve [but
think it is wide open -- had it first].  I have 7/8" rear cylinders and Toyota 4
runner front calipers [these are wider than the Celica's and allow using vented
rotors].  This is a "track day" TR6, fronts are probably not legal for vintage.
Brake pressure on the pedal is high, but good modulation.  Never pump or fade
[Have Hawk blues on front and Carbotech Panther Plus on the rear].  Now if I
just
had an engine [in the works].

Chuck

Aaron Johnson wrote:

> Hugh,
>
> I use a 3/4" for the fronts and 5/8" for the rears with a 10# residual
> pressure valve on my spitfire with 16P calipers on the front and the .700 rear
> wheel cylinders.  I don't know that I like the small m/c on the rear as I
> can't get as much rear brake as I'd like.  The 3/4 on the front is nice, the
> pedal effort is high, but modulation is quite good as Bill describes.  I don't
> have a brake fade or need to pump the brakes up at all without a residual
> pressure valve on the fronts.  I use a tilton pedal setup and I like the
> balance bar.  I have it setup with the adjusting cable to play with, but I
> have yet to perform any adjustments while on track.
>
> One thing to remember with a proportioning valve is that you are only reducing
> pressure to the line which it is on from the max pressure (no valve) and you
> are NOT increasing pressure to the other part of the system.  So if the valve
> is on the rear you will only decrease pressure from full, but you can never
> add more pressure.  So m/c size becomes more important.  The balance bar
> actually transfers leverage from the pedal to decrease pressure on one system
> and increase the other.
>
> Aaron Johnson
> #38 F-Prod Spit MkIV Oregon Region SCCA
> http://www.geocities.com/spitracer9

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
chuck.arnold.vcf]