fot

RE: brake bias suggestions

To: "'Henry Frye'" <henry@henryfrye.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake bias suggestions
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 09:26:18 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-fot@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-fot@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Henry Frye
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2003 8:56 AM
To: fot@autox.team.net

I assume you are using a dual circuit master brake cylinder. Obviously,
no
adjustment here.
**************
I am using the dual circuit master cylinder from a Mk3 GT6.
**************

You could convert to a dual master cylinder setup. Maximum adjustability

using a bias bar. Spend your cash once, can play with brake bias until
the
cows come home.
**************
I really Don't want to go to that extreme and might not have the room on
my abbreviated shelf to mount that sort of arrangement.  I was thinking
more in terms of line pressure regulation.
**************

You could install a proportioning valve in the brake lines. You will not
be
able to ADD any rear bias, but I assume you could put the valve on the
FRONT brake circuit and crank that down a bit. I don't know if I would
go
that route.
**************
I was discussing that issue with a Lotus Elan driver and he said that by
restricting the flow to the rear brakes, the pressure would increase and
therefore increase the rear bias.  Is that the case or his "pipe dream"?
**************

That leaves playing with the size of the rear wheel cylinders, using a
better brake lining on the shoes, increasing the size of the drums, or
converting to rear disk.
That would be a bit more extreme that I would like to go since the
amount of bias I want to add is not much on the grand scale.  If a
proportioning valve will do the trick, that would seem to me to be the
easiest and cheapest thing to do, right?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Joe (C)