fot

Brake Proportioning system installed oops!

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Proportioning system installed oops!
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:00:18 -0700
OK, guys,  I need some help here.  I installed the Tilton brake
proportioning assembly on dual master cylinders to be able to adjust the
proportion front to back, as several suggested.

Today I tried it out.  The result is that the brakes lock up and will
not let go until I release one of the bleed valve on the calipers.

I used clutch masters because I had them on hand and they are the same
size as a brake master for an early Spit except for the reservoir.
Question is, despite the same bore size, is there something else that
might be different and keep the pressure on the line after the pedal is
released?

I can probably come up with a pair of brake masters if they are indeed
different, but as far as I can see, they are not.

What else could be causing this?  I tried different size actuator arms
and hage induced free travel in the linkage but I can't seem to find the
cause of this problem.

One more thing, there is no free pedal play with this system.  The rear
brake master has very little play before they grab and the fronts do go
in a little further but appear to keep the piston in place after the
pedal pressure is released.

I disassembled the master cylinders and inspected the springs and they
are strong.  So what gives here?  Anyone???

Regards,
Joe (C)

P.S. I did alright today at the autocross.  4th overall despite having
to drive through locked brakes!  :)